If you work with children you’ll know that outdoor play isn’t just for fun, it’s a crucial area in terms of under 5s development and health. This superb value short online course is designed for childcare professionals to explore this important subject in more depth.
What Will I Learn?
The course focuses on the play and learning opportunities that can be facilitated outdoors in your setting. You’ll explore the many benefits of allowing children to play imaginatively outdoors, both in terms of their physical and cognitive development. Not only that, you’ll have the confidence and expertise to review your current outdoor play provision, plan a new space and help children manage risk.
All study is completed online, meaning you have the flexibility to work towards the multiple choice assessment at a time and in a place that suits you. Due to this, there is no need to take time off work to focus on your continuing professional development.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
- Learn about the benefits of outdoor play for children.
- Explore why children who enjoy outdoor play are more likely to enjoy an active, outdoor lifestyle into adulthood.
- Find out about the important factors in planning an outdoor play space.
- Learn about the outdoor environment, the opportunities it offers and suggestions for activities in the text Support Healthy Lifestyles for Children.
- Access the NHS Choices guidelines on how much physical activity under 5s need to do to remain healthy.
- Explore the report Effective Practice: Outdoor Learning by The Early Years Foundation Stage.
- Explore the Association of Forest schools website to find out what forest schools are and what benefits are associated with them.
- Study the relevant parts of the Department for Education’s Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage.
- Learn about Play England’s research on the importance of balancing risk and opportunity when it comes to planning outdoor play.
- Get ideas and resources for outdoor play including permission forms for parents and carers from the Learning through Landscapes website.
- Find and read the health and safety policies and procedures for outdoor play at your own setting, including paediatric first aid requirements.
- Enhance your knowledge by watching presentations on Outdoor Play and Children Managing Risk.
- See good practice in action with an Ofsted produced video about an open air nursery in Chelsea.
- Explore the Extended Learning section to discover videos and reading material on many aspects of outdoor play.
- Complete the multiple choice assessment to prove your new found knowledge of outdoor play.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- Technical support is available, should you encounter problems.
- Specially tailored reading material, presentations, videos, activities and opportunities for further study mean all learning styles are taken into account and learning is easy to engage with.
- Access to the course is for 12 full months on signing up.
- Proving your credentials in outdoor play will enhance your career prospects and make your day to day job more rewarding.
Don’t play around when it comes to progressing your career in a childcare setting – sign up to Outdoor Play today.
|1 gigahertz (GHz)|
|Internet Explorer 8 or above